Monday, July 13, 2009

where art thou?



Why isn't Kilkenny sold in the United States?

I first tasted this beer in Rome, Italy, of all places, in the summer of 1998. In my humble opinion, there is no better beer in the world. There are many with more flavor (or flavour, if you like), but there are none to rival its combination of taste, feel and smoothness.

I experienced a few fine beers in Germany (a Munchner Dunkel served in the Rathskellar restaurant in Munich stands out...alas I cannot remember its name), and several fine varieties in Prague (most notably Budvar and Velvet); however nothing matches Kilkenny. Although I'm certain there are many connoisseurs who would knock each other over to argue my conclusion, as this is a matter of opinion, there can be no right answer but my own.

Regardless of one's opinion, it is, by all accounts, a fine beer; it is popular in many other countries, and it stands to reason that it might sell reasonably well in our neck of the woods. So, why not sell it here?

Perhaps the best reason is simple: if everyone that loves Kilkenny is anything like me, they don't actually drink that much beer. Well, I'm afraid I don't have a counter argument to that, except to say that I, on rare occasion, will go to Canada and spend about $60.00 on a case of the stuff. That must count for something.

No comments: