Saturday, March 22, 2008

we need a win

Played the 2nd-place team in our division tonight, and lost 5-4. Very frustrating, considering we were leading 4-3 halfway through the 3rd and tied with 13 seconds to go. Letting in a goal with that much time on the clock is no fun for a goalie, even if we did have to kill two consecutive (very dumb) penalties. Still, there were silver linings. We are not playing well this season, and it shows with our (I think) 6-12 record. Thus far we've been manhandled by the upper half of the division, so to play one of the top teams that close is encouraging.

I rate my performance tonight a solid 'B.' I've played better, but not much. I made some nice saves: a breakaway, a two-on-one, and a one-timer from right in front of the crease come to mind. I also had fairly solid positioning as I made a couple of saves with screens set; during each I never saw the puck until it hit my pad. My butterfly was solid, and after sharpening my skates my butterfly slide was working well again. The glove was working pretty well too. The only goal I really want back is the last one, but that's to be expected as it was the game-winner.

Another interesting note: I can usually tell how well I played by how the other team greets me in the post-game handshake line. If they give me a crooked nod, say "good game" through a crooked smile, and a hard slap on my blocker, I know I was doing my job well. Tonight was one of those nights, and these inexplicably welcome moments of camaraderie are always encouraging and fortifying in a way.

No comments: