Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Great Polarizer

What is it about facial hair that has people all up in a twist? It seems everyone needs to have a comment about it. Maybe it's because I've never had facial hair and so upon gazing at my newly bearded visage, people are particularly surprised? Perhaps most people have nothing to say to me, and so latch on to the one easy target of conversation? Perhaps, but I'm of the opinion that it is a bit more than that.

Ponderings about the need to comment aside, I also find it interesting that, unless most people are just being kind, the near universal opinion of my new scruffiness is positive...outside of work. At work, although some do proclaim an affinity to the beard, it is usually a cautious statement, as if the commenter is being watched. Others in the office seem to be downright dumbfounded as to why I would ever consider doing this in the first place. "Don't you know that we don't that here in 'merica?"

My own opinion is typically subdued: I neither have great affection for it nor do I dislike it. It is simply another variation of my outward appearance. There are elements of it that I like, just as there are elements of it that I dislike (e.g. patchiness in certain areas).

Anyway, I find the office/non-office dynamic to be interesting.

7 comments:

Michael said...

I once had a cut on my chin, so couldn't shave it for a while. At one point I felt like a shave, but didn't want to shave over the cut, so I decided the neatest way to go about it would be to leave a goatee for a couple of days. When she first saw it, Jen laughed at me, with a more spontaneous, enthusiastic laugh than you'd normally expect. She said it was just because she was so surprised and that it didn't look bad, but it still wasn't exactly the reaction I was hoping for.

Just to clarify, I'm not a fan of goatees myself, and this was just a practical measure. Sometimes I wish I could grow a big 19th-century sideburns + moustache combo, but I don't think it's in the cards for me.

Michael said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ambrose_Everett_Burnside.jpg

John said...

when I look at that picture, I feel like I am looking into your soul. For those who might have a hard time finding that link here it is again.

Harjeet said...

Why don't you tell people the truth..that you are trying to look like the great sikh worrier...And you look so good! tee hee

John said...

I didn't know sikh's worried so much. I assume you meant warrior

Michael said...

"A Sikh worrier must not use any drugs or intoxicants because he or she is responsible for their actions."

Harjeet said...

aha...Boo to you people...